Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy was a monster storm for sure.

Thankfully, this big generator keeps our stations powered up now, but things were different five years ago when Superstorm Sandy hit. Here's how we spent a week like we where camping:

Five years later, some people still struggle with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. On the anniversary of Sandy on Oct. 29 into the morning hours of Oct. 30 2017, our area was hit with some very heavy rain and wind, once again causing some power outages.

According to, by about 4:30 a.m. on Monday Oct.30, 2017, utilities reported that at least 162,000 people in Connecticut, 160,000 in New Hampshire, 63,000 in New York, 59,000 in Massachusetts and 57,000 in Maine were without power.

The recent rain and wind event pales in comparison to the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. Superstorm Sandy, in 2012, left more than 100 people dead and caused billions of dollars in damage and left thousands without power up to two weeks.

My biggest recollection was driving to the radio station, from my home an hour away, in the early morning hours of Hurricane Sandy on Monday Oct. 29. I arrived at 5:30 a.m. first thinking, wow, the drive wasn't too bad. The drive was the least of our troubles, though.

The street was without power, and at the time was occupied mostly by businesses. The radio station had a very small, on it's last legs, generator, that had enough juice to power the air studios and not much more. All staff was told to stay home, except of course the on- air people. Hey, we all know the show must go on. But let me tell you it was tough being the only girl in the mix.

That generator didn't power the heating system, we also couldn't flush the toilets, and there was no internet. No internet is kind of a problem when you need to do news on two morning shows. So I'd pick up a bunch of papers from the Mobil at the Four - Corners and cut out news stories to read on - air.

By day two, I was driving back to the Mobil to use the bathroom ( the boys were able to make some use of the great outdoors ), and by day three I was risking knocking off the radio stations by plugging in a small space heater from time to time to take the frigidness out of the room.

The days without enough power dragged on. But the realization of the true devastation that Sandy had caused, put that time into perspective for me. Not that I'd want to ever rough it like that again, this girl wasn't born to camp. Peeing in the woods will never be my thing.

Watch Lou's Funny Interview With the Artist Behind Bethel's Latest Mural:

More From WRKI and WINE