Connecticut’s Phase Three Reopening Guidelines Released, Indoor Capacity Limits to Increase
After more than three months since Governor Ned Lamont announced phase two of the Connecticut reopening plan, the state has released a comprehensive set of guidelines for phase three and all that it entails amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
In an official announcement on Thursday (September 24), Governor Lamont said that the focus of the next reopening phase will be on increased indoor capacity for certain types of businesses in Connecticut as of October 8, 2020.
Under the next phase of reopening, bars and nightclubs will remain closed and many of the state's current safety protocols will be in effect, but changes will be made in the following ways:
- Restaurants, personal services such as barbershops, salons, and tattoo parlors, and libraries will be allowed to increase their indoor capacity requirement from the current 50% limit to 75%.
- Outdoor event venues such as amphitheaters and race tracks will be allowed to increase their capacity requirement from the current 25% limit to 50%, with face coverings and social distancing measures still in place.
- Indoor event performing arts venues will now be able to open up at a 50% capacity limit, and face coverings and distancing measures are required.
The phase three opening on October 8 will also include changes to Connecticut's social gathering limits in the following ways:
- Private social and recreational gatherings at indoor commercial establishments will be able to increase capacity limits to 50% with a cap at 100 people.
- Private social and recreational gatherings at outdoor commercial establishments and outdoor private residences will be able to increase capacity limits will be capped at 150 people.
- Indoor social gatherings at private residences will be capped at 25 people.
- Indoor graduations and religious gatherings will be allowed at 50% capacity, with a cap a 200 people with face covering and distancing measures required.
- Outdoor graduations and religious gatherings will be allowed at 50% capacity or 6-foot spacing, with no limit to the amount of people as long as face coverings and distancing measures are in place. \
Governor Lamont went on to say in his Thursday afternoon announcement that these capacity increases are all subject to change based in the COVID-19 statistics and local businesses' ability to follow the state's guidelines.