8 Healthy and Motivating Ways to Beat Cabin Fever
With all of the cancellations, school closings, work adjustments, and overall craziness, we are bound to find ourselves at home a lot more this season. For those practicing social distancing measures due to the COVID-19 pandemic, cabin fever can set in pretty quickly. Here are signs to look out for:
- Energy levels deplete
- You feel unmotivated or lethargic
- Your mood drastically changes and you get irritated easily
- If working from home, you may have difficulty concentrating
- You feel “cooped up”
If you notice any of these signs, you could be dealing with cabin fever. So, what can you do to prevent it from happening to you? Before slipping into pure boredom and becoming a glorified couch potato, check out these ideas:
- Get Active
Just because you’re at home, doesn’t mean you can’t get active and get your endorphins running. Aim for at least 30 minutes of some form of exercise every day. Not only will this make for a healthier you, but it will help create a healthier state of mind.
- Yoga is great for creating a calm environment, increasing flexibility, and improving respiration and energy
- Do some at home exercises. YouTube is a great resource for free, educational exercise videos.
- Exercise with equipment you have at home
- Start Spring Cleaning
Now is the time to check off all the items on your list you haven’t had the time to do. Let’s Marie Kondo the house!
- Clean the house, disinfect
- Rearrange your furniture for a new look
- Tackle home improvement projects
- Read a Good Book
I can’t begin to tell you how many books I have at home that I just haven’t gotten the chance to read yet.
- Read a book you already have
- Re-read a favorite book
- Purchase an e-book online
- Kindle books available on Amazon – read on your phone, computer, or kindle reader
- Try a New Recipe
Some of us work long hours and don’t have the time needed to prep and cook proper meals. Try your hand at cooking for the first time or if you’re a pro, try out a new recipe!
- Foodnetwork features easy recipes for healthy living
- Use Pinterest as inspiration
- Family Fun Night
Break out the board games and have a fun night indoors. Set the tone with some yummy snacks and a good movie. Make this the time to reconnect with family.
- Watch a New Show or Movie
I never have time to catch up on my favorite shows…until now. Spend some quality time with the family and watch a show or movie together.
- My current favorite on Netflix is YOU
- Modern Family series finale will be airing soon as the final 3 episodes begin this Wednesday
- Get Outside
Just because we’re all staying away from large crowds, doesn’t mean we can’t get out on our porches or in our backyards and enjoy the warmer weather coming our way. It’s finally a good time to start grilling, or getting a bonfire going in the backyard. Get that Vitamin D in!
- Plan a Vacation
When this all blows over and it will, you’ll want to get as far away from home as possible. Start planning your next trip by researching destinations and the activities available. Once it’s safe to travel, you’ll have everything planned.
Please be advised that given the world’s current state we must be cautious. The “better safe than sorry” motto has never rung so true. I understand that not all are so lucky to be able to stay at home, so please be sure to stay safe, healthy, keep up with good hygiene and if possible help the elderly who may be unable to get out of the house.