The Abandoned Ruins and the Comeback of Connecticut’s Pleasure Beach
From 1892 until 1958, a famous amusement park and beach rested on a tract of land straddling Bridgeport and Stratford. From 1904 until 1919, it was called "Steeplechase Island." The amusement park was accessible primarily by ferry service and a wooden swing bridge built in 1927 to carry automobiles and pedestrians.
After a portion of the bridge caught fire in 1996, Pleasure Beach was cut off and became accessible only by a long walk along the shoreline or a small private boat. The rest of Pleasure Island's tragic history is included inside the following photo gallery.
The Abandoned Ruins of Bridgeport's Pleasure Beach
Decrepit Abandoned Hotel in Cromwell, Connecticut
The Mysteries of the Abandoned 'Camp Connecticut'