New York Officials Declare ‘Emergency’ Across Tri-State
Officials from New York need your help after they declared an "emergency" across the Hudson Valley and the Tri-State.
On Monday, the New York Blood Center declared a blood emergency. The organization is asking people across the Hudson Valley, New York City, Long Island, New Jersey and Connecticut to donate blood to help replenish the blood supply for hospitals throughout the area.
In order to maintain a safe blood supply, a seven-day inventory of all blood types must be continually replenished. Right now, reserves are below that minimum, officials say.
"These low levels are particularly dangerous leading into summer months, when people are less likely to donate blood as schools go on summer break and families take vacations," the New York Blood Center said in a press release. "The best preparation for life-threatening situations is having blood on hospital shelves in advance."
The organization is hoping for 1,000 or 1,500 new donors each month to help save lives.
“Every single day, blood donations help save lives – and right now, the need is critical,” Senior Executive Director of Donor Recruitment for New York Blood Center Andrea Cefarelli said. “We’re calling on everyone to do what they can to spread the word, host a blood drive or simply take an hour out of their day to donate.”
The New York Blood Center is encouraging everyone to find time to donate blood. In one hour you can donate one pint of blood and save a life, officials say.
How to help:
- Donate blood or platelets at a donor center.
- Donate at a mobile blood drive.
- Host a blood drive in your community or at your organization.
- Educate others in your family, community, and organization about blood donations, and encourage them to donate themselves and/or host a blood drive.
- Promote the need for blood donors on social media.
Thursday, June 14, is World Blood Donor Day.
Read more local stories:
- Plans FINALLY Made for Old Bennigan's Site on Federal Rd. in Danbury
- Uncle Sam Statue from the Old Danbury Fair Could Be Coming Home
- Win UpTo $5K or See Metallica in Las Vegas
- Ethan and Lou's Second Chance Prom Returns to Danbury
Who Will Lou Be Taking to 3rd annual Second Chance Prom?
Ethan and Lou Take Hydration VERY Seriously