On July 15, 1926, the Connecticut Light and Power Company's Board of Directors approved a plan to create a lake to produce electric power. As a result, the residents and farm owners in the Rocky River Valley, which included the towns of Sherman, New Milford, Brookfield, Danbury, and New Fairfield, learned that they would have to vacate their land.

Schools and churches had to be moved or destroyed,

workers were paid $1 per body to remove gravestones and bodies for reburial and 5,520 acres of the River Valley had to be cleared before the water flowed.

 

Let's take a look through the beauties of Candlewood Lake, from 93 years ago all the way to now.

Candlewood Lake - Then and Now

Candlewood Lakes' Island House

Candlewood Lake Fall Foliage Tour

More From i95 WRKI