Another Bear Sighting In Danbury Neighborhood
It's become a weekly occurrence, another Black Bear sighting. More and more Bears are roaming through our area, and that means one thing.... "photo opp".
The latest sighting was around the Stadley Rough Road area of Danbury, and that included sightings on Silcam, and Dennis Gate
If it seems like your seeing more and more of these Bear sighting stories recently, your right, you are, and here's why.
According to ct.gov, Black bears sightings are becoming more and more common in Greater Danbury due to the fact that the population of these Bears is growing and they are expanding their territory.
Now here's why you should be concerned. The Connecticut Wildlife Division has also seen an increase in the number of reported problems with black bears. So thanks in part to ctpost.com, we've put together some tips if you should have a Bear encounter:
- Only bring trash out when you have a scheduled pick up, and keep trash bags in a container with a tight lid and store in a garage or shed.
- If you feed your pet outside, do not leave the dish out after the pet has eaten, and store all animal feed in airtight containers.
- Make sure you clean grills after use or store in a garage or shed.
- Never intentionally feed bears.
- If you see a bear, do not bother it, and wait for it to leave, or make loud noises from a safe distance to attempt to scare the bear away.
- If you surprise a bear at close range, walk away slowly while facing the bear. Do not run.
- Black bears will sometimes "bluff a charge" to within a few feet of you when they feel threatened. If this happens, stand your ground and shout at the bear. Do not run and never climb a tree because black bears are excellent tree climbers.
- Always make sure your dog is on a leash when your walking them.
The increase in the Bear population is expected to continue, so I'm sure you'll be reading about another Bear close encounter real soon.
Read more local stories:
- Beloved Danbury Chef Set to Open New Italian Eatery
- Did You Know These Movies Were Filmed in Connecticut?
- Where Is the Best Food in Danbury — The East Side or West Side?
What Happened When Ethan and Lou Found a Snake IN the Radio Station?
What Do Ethan and Lou Know About Today's Pop Culture?: