Danbury Launches Mobile Testing Site, Certain Criteria Required
In the City of Danbury's latest effort in the battle the spread of COVID-19, a mobile testing site has been set up at Danbury Hospital.
According to Mayor Mark Boughton, the site serves as an alternative for people with the proper prescription to be officially tested for the virus, while allowing them to stay out of the local emergency rooms and other medical facilities.
Starting Monday, March 16, the drive-through testing will be open between the hours of 8:30 AM and 3:30 PM, and again, residents must have a prescription to receive a Coronavirus test.
Here's how it all works according to Danbury officials:
What is the COVID-19 collection site?
The COVID-19 collection site at Danbury Hospital is an alternative location for people suspected of COVID-19 to give a specimen sample for a test; this is instead of going to the emergency department or another medical facility.
Who can go to the collection site?
The collection site is ONLY for people who meet ALL of following criteria:
- You called your doctor’s office and had a consultation.
- Based on your symptoms and other information you provided, your doctor determined that you meet criteria for COVID-19 testing, and ordered a test for you.
- You have a scheduled appointment at the collection site.
How do I schedule an appointment at the collection site?
Please call 203-739-4344 to schedule an appointment at the collection site located at Danbury Hospital. The hours of operation are 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM, seven days a week.
You will be scheduled within one business day of when the test was ordered by your doctor. People without an appointment will only be seen if they have a valid doctor order for a test.
What do I need to bring with me for my appointment?
- Government-issued photo ID (examples: driver’s license, passport).
- Insurance card (if you have one).
Where is the collection site located, and what do I do when I get there?
The collection site is located at 95 Locust Avenue, Danbury, CT, 06810. The entrance is located at the corner of Osborne Street and Locust Avenue.
- Only two passengers per vehicle are permitted at the collection site.
- You will be given an “Access Pass” after your ID and doctor order are verified. No specimen collection will be done without this pass.
- It’s important for you to stay in your vehicle. You will be asked to hold up your ID and insurance card for a photograph.
How will you collect the specimen sample from me?
A trained healthcare provider will use a swab to collect a sample from inside your nose. This is not a blood test.
What do I do after I leave the collection site?
Drive home and limit your interactions with others during this time. Plan to self-quarantine for up to 14 days. You will receive self-quarantine guidelines at the collection site, and they can also be found here.
If you have worsening symptoms such as shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, go to the nearest emergency department. Call the emergency department to tell them you are on your way, and that you have been tested for COVID-19 and are waiting for the results.
How long will it take to get my test results back?
It may take up to six days to get your test results back. Your doctor will notify you of the results. Only call your doctor if you have not heard back in seven days.
What should I do if I don’t meet the criteria for the specimen collection site, but I still have questions or concerns?
Call the Nuvance Health COVID-19 Community Hotline. Medical staff will answer your questions. They can also provide guidance if you think you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, which include cough, fever, difficulty breathing/shortness of breath.
- Phone number: 888-667-9262
- Hours of operation: 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, seven days a week
Where can I go for more information?
In addition to the Nuvance Health COVID-19 Community Hotline, for more information go to:
- Connecticut: https://CT.gov/coronavirus or call 211
- New York: health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus or call 1-888-364-3065
Related Coronavirus coverage: