Possible Severe Storms Again Today in Connecticut and Hudson Valley
When things heat up and we get that heat and humidy like we will again today, there's always the risk of some severe weather blowing through.
It may be a repeat of yesterday afternoon and evening as temperatures climb well into the 90's again today and the humidity soars. The National Weather Service has not only issued a heat advisory for the region in effect until 8 PM tonight, but they are also warning of more severe storms possible later this afternoon and into tonight.
Look for heat index values to make it feel like it's 101 degrees in Orange, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester Counties. In Dutchess and Ulster Counties, the heat advisory is in effect until 7 PM tonight with heat index values close to 100 degrees.
Not only do we have to deal with the heat again, but keep an eye to the sky again this afternoon and early evening as isolated severe storms are possible. These storms could once again produce heavy rain and gusty winds just like the storms that occurred Tuesday afternoon and evening, knocking down tree limbs and power lines and leaving thousands in the area without power.
Just remember, when there is extreme heat like we're experiencing again today, drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air conditioned room if possible, and if you're outside, take extra precautions and know the signs and symptoms of heat stroke.
The extreme heat may come to an end by Thursday, but then a flash flood watch goes into effect for late Thursday into Friday as Tropical Storm Elsa works its way up the coast.
Here's a look at the rest of the week and what we can expect as we head towards the weekend.
- Today: Hazy, Hot, and Humid with a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 pm, highs today in the low to mid 90's.
- Tonight: A better chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Low around 68.
- Tomorrow: Partly sunny with a good chance of showers and possibly a thunderstorm later in the day, high temps in the low 80's.
- Tomorrow Night: Showers and thunderstorms low around 68.
- Friday: Showers and thunderstorms high in the low 80's.