MLB 2019, What We Know, How it Will Play Out
It's time to start playing meaningful baseball, when that happens, worthless predictions follow. Since I'm not your average bear when it comes to playing out worthless activities I think you will enjoy mine. Let's go on a wild ride of long shots, candor and reality.
Here is what we know:
The New York Yankees
- Have the best bullpen in baseball.
- Have an offense that eats bad pitching 1-9.
- Have an above average starting rotation right now, even with injuries.
- Have a very good starting rotation when healthy.
- Happen to have a great mix of youthful ignorance and playoff experience.
- Are extremely handsome.
- They wreak of a team that will be plagued with injuries.
- They are way too "righty."
- They are overdependent on home runs.
The New York Mets
- They have an above average catcher in Wilson Ramos when healthy.
- They have a 2nd baseman in Robinson Cano who knows how to hit, does not miss games and loves New York.
- The back end of their bullpen is VERY good with Edwin Diaz closing and Jeyrus Familia setting him up.
- They have what appears to be a star and fan favorite in Brandon Nimmo.
- They have a shiny new toy at 1st base in Peter Alonso.
- They have a GREAT starting rotation which features 2 aces in Degrom & Syndergaard.
- They have not had one year where Degrom, Syndergaard, Matz and Wheeler were all healthy.
- They are not deep offensively.
- Their best hitter is 36 years old (Yep, Cano is both a positive and a negative)
- Shortstop is a question. Amed Rosario didn't fall flat last year but didn't dazzle anyone either.
- They are structured as a "win now" team that does not have a recent winning culture.
- The GM, Brody Van Wagenen has been a GM for 12 mins and likes the spot light way too much.
- The Team is owned by the Wilpons.
- The NL East is a VERY strong division top to bottom that will be difficult to win.
- They have Mookie Betts, one of the most dynamic players in all of baseball.
- They have JD Martinez.
- They have Chris Sale.
- Championship hangovers are real.
- Their fans are LAME-O's.
- Their bullpen is garbage.
- Boston Sucks.
Are you ready? I'm ready.
- Yankees win 100+, win the division.
- Red Sox win 100+, go in as a Wild Card
- Mets win 87, go in as a Wild Card
- Yankees face and beat the Sox in the playoffs, fans riot and burn Boston, including Fenway to the ground. Baseball is never played in Boston again.
- The Mets make a run in the playoffs on the strength of their starters, reach the NLCS, lose, their fans cry and no one cares. We are used to seeing their fans cry.
- Yankees win the World Series, I celebrate by making out with my wife and Megan Fox at Six Flags.