Okay, I’ll Admit It — I Was Wrong About ‘The Walking Dead’
I said, "It's not for me, man. I don't care about zombies and do not want to watch a stupid zombie show." Well, EGG, meet FACE. What a dope. Sure, there are zombies and all, but this show is way more than I thought.
My wife, Erica, and I encountered what we call a "show hole." It's from some commercial we saw about binge watching TV. A "Show hole" is when you are between binges and don't know what to start next.
I said, "Do you want to give The Walking Dead a chance? People swear by it. Let's watch one episode and see what all the fuss is about."
Well, let me tell you what, hindsight is a mother lover. I was so wrong. This show is fantastic. I'm on season 5 already. I am ashamed of how long it took me to get there, so I won't say. If I had a time machine, I'd travel back a few years ago and choke the guy who said there's no way this could be good.
What is all the fuss about?
- Not even really a zombie show, that is just the skeleton of the show.
- It makes you ask questions about what kind of person you really are.
- Rick is a BAD MAN, "bad" meaning "good" in the most bad ass way possible.
- Sweet revenge is had. Some of my favorite shows, like The Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy still have me wanting revenge on characters that got away with a mess of stuff that pissed me off. Not TWD, this show delivers on revenge like you read about.
- It's like a post apocalyptic survival guide for free. Someone really thought through how things might go down when the "S" hits the fan. Not only that, but they did a great job of it, and I will be calling plays from the TWD playbook when the time comes.
- Darrel and Glenn are two dudes I want to roll with. I know they are fictional characters, but foxhole me those two dudes. Rick has his "6" covered.
- Carol is delightfully insane. I'm oddly attracted to her no-nonsense approach.
I was so wrong about this show. I can not wait to be fully caught up with the rest of you Walking Dead fans so I can have awesome discussions about it ahead of the premiere of season 8 in a few weeks.
I feel like Rick Grimes every day. Some days, I want to yell, "I didn't ask for this!"
Here is the season 8 trailer:
An Inside Look at How Annoying Lou Is to Ethan
David Crosby Told Us: 'I Had to Leave CSN in Order to Stay in Love With Music':