9 of the Best Portuguese Restaurants in Connecticut
Have you ever tried traditional Portuguese food? The flavors will blow your mind!
Danbury, Bridgeport, and Naugatuck are three Connecticut cities where the highest percentage of Portuguese call home which means there are a healthy number of amazingly authentic Portuguese restaurants throughout Connecticut.
Some favorite Portuguese dishes include, bacalhau or Portuguese codfish, grilled sardines, bifanas, which are traditional Portuguese sandwiches, chicken piri-piri, polvo a la lagareiro which is an octopus dish, and a Portuguese ham called porco preto. I've taken into account both Google and Yelp reviews and have come up with 9 of the very best Portuguese eateries in Connecticut.
* Lisboa is located at 19 Layfayette St. in Waterbury.
- Balcalhau Com Natas (Codfish Casserole)
- Paella Valenciana
- Steak on the Rock
Review - 4.6/5
The Atlantic can be found at 176 Osborne St. in Danbury.
- Grilled Codfish with Baked Potatoes
- Steak and Shrimp Shishkabob
- "You must try their soup!"
Review - 3.5/5
Avenida is located at 757 Madison Ave. in Bridgeport.
- Garlic Shrimp
- Saute Codfish with Boiled Red Potatoes
- Yelp Review - "The food is incredible. The staff is wonderful and the Portuguese wine and beer are great. I highly recommend it."
Cambrense is located at 4 New Park Ave. in Hartford.
- Stewed Meat and Stone Soup
- Squid Stew and Kale Soup
- Review - "A shrimp appetizer, served in a seafood-forward, complex garlic sauce was awesome!"
Sagres is located at 172 Maple Ave. in Naugatuck.
- Cod and Potatoes
- Pork and Clams
- Review - "The food was amazing. I ordered the chicken and rice along with the cod and potatoes, both were made to perfection."
Review - 4.5/5
You'll find the Primavera Pub at 283 Newington Ave. in Hartford.
- Grilled Cod and Chorizo Sandwich
- Bitoque Primavera
- Review: "I can honestly say, eating here was one of the finest meals I've had in Connecticut."
Algarve can be found at 1625 Silas Dean Highway in Rocky Hill.
- Paella alla casa
- Grilled Shrimp (Camarao Grelhado)
- Review - "We find that the seafood (food) is always fresh. Their dishes are creative and seasoned just right!"
Omanel is located at 1909 Main St. in Bridgeport.
- Flaming Chorizo
- Mar e Terra - Grilled Filet Mignon and Lobster Tails
- Review - "I had the Bife a Portuguesa and it was PHENOMENAL! It was like being in Portugal all over again."
The Portuguese Cultural Center on Sand Pit Road in Danbury offers the public with the choice of dining in the Caravela Restaurant or in their Bar area.
- "Lulas grelhadas" - Grilled squid
- "Bitoque ou Prego no Prato" - steak with egg
- This is by far the most common and best tasting dish!
- "Frango de Churrasco" - Grilled chicken
Menu is updated on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/PortugueseCulturalCenter/