New Milford Leads Greater Danbury Towns In Bear Sightings
The latest Bear sighting stats are out, and New Milford Leads all Greater Danbury Towns in sightings.
Officials from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection just released updated black bear sighting statistics. The latest chart covers the period from Nov. 16, 2016 to Oct. 18, 2017.
According to patch.com, New Milford led all Greater Danbury towns with the most Black Bear sighting over the almost year long period.
The official number statewide was 5,867, and Avon was the number one town in the state for sightings, they came in on top with 542.
Here's the new complete list of towns in Greater Danbury who have had at least one bear sighting during the survey period.
- New Milford 248
- Southbury 98
- Danbury 82
- Newtown 81
- Brookfield 72
- Redding 50
- Roxbury 41
- New Fairfield 38
- Bethel 14
If you do spot a Black Bear, or come face to face with one, here are some safety tips that you should observe:
- Carry bear pepper spray. As with the grizzly bear, bear pepper spray should be your first line of defense in a bear attack.
- Stand your ground and make lots of noise. Black bears often bluff when attacking.
- Don't climb a tree. Black bears are excellent climbers. ...
- Fight back.
Read More Stories:
- Cars Stolen in Newtown Lead to Arrest of Two Local Teens
- Danbury Police: Missing Woman's Car Found at Diner in Patterson
- Show Us Your Cans at i95's 10th Annual "Camping for Cans"
- Hats Off to These Retailers for Closing on Thanksgiving
Ethan and Lou Take a Tour of Our Incredible RV at Camping for Cans:
We Need Non-Perishables or This Turkey Gets It