A List of Storm Shelters Now Open in Greater Danbury
Tuesday's storm has caused massive power outages throughout the area. For many, there is a need to shower and charge their electronic devices. Some shelters in Greater Danbury have been set up to help residents cope.
If you're one of the thousands in the area without power, a quick shower, and a full charge for your electronic device is really all you're looking for. Area towns have set up locations where you can do just that.
Here's a current list of eight places that are now open if you need them:
- Western Connecticut State University Mid-Town Campus- The Bill Williams Gym is open as a functional needs shelter. This location is limited to residents who are without power and need to use medical devices like oxygen and ventilators. The shelter will remain open till power is restored
- Brookfield High School - Emergency shelter & charging station
- The Maxx in New Milford- Open as a charging station location
- Bethel Municipal Center and Stony Hill Fire Department- Showers and charging stations until 8 pm. Free Wi-Fi is also available
- The Newtown Municipal Center at Fairfield Hills and the Newtown Senior Center in Sandy Hook- Open today for charging electronic devices, and as a shelter for those who have had damage to their homes
- Newtown Youth Academy- Open for showers
- Ridgefield Parks & Recreation- Will be open until 10 pm. Showers are available, also Wi-Fi and charging stations
- The Southbury Senior Center- Emergency Shelter
Related Local Stories:
- Mayor Mark on Danbury's Power Restoration, Injuries, Storm Damage
- Danbury, Brookfield Police Departments Issue Statements On Storm
- Severe Storm in Greater Danbury Causes Extreme Chaos
- New Fairfield Looked Like a War Zone in the Storm's Aftermath
What Would Like to See LESS of On Candlewood Lake?
Bonus Video: Lou Milano Presents: 'Snack Attack'