Woman Seriously Burned After Farting During Surgery
This is one of those stories that's not funny, but is.
A woman in Japan who passed gas while she was undergoing surgery wound up suffering serious burns as a result of flatulence.
The incident occurred in April, but is only now making the rounds after a report was released about it.
According to the Straits Times:
The fire occurred at the university hospital in Tokyo on April 15. The patient, in her 30s, was undergoing an operation which involved applying a laser to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus. The laser is believed to have been ignited by the gas she passed. The fire burnt much of her body, including her waist and legs."
The report found that nothing flammable was in the OR during the procedure and all the equipment was working as well as her excretory system. According to the report:
When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."
Bet there's a sentence that's never been written before.