Newtown’s Old Mental Institute Named ‘Best Place to Be Scared’ in Connecticut
It's the stuff that spooky legends are made of, and it's right here in Connecticut.
A legendary Newtown spot has made the national list of the best places around the country to get the beejesus scared out of you! The list has been compiled by thrillist.com as "The Best Place to Scare the Crap Out of Yourself in All 50 States."
It includes places like:
- Coffin Rock near Burkittsville, Maryland
- Sauerkraut Cave in Louisville, Kentucky
- Timberline Lodge in Mt. Hood, Oregon
- Lizzie Borden B&B in Fall River, Massachusetts
There's also seasonal attractions like:
- Nightmare in Vermont in Essex Junction, Vermont
- Fright Kingdom in Nashua, New Hampshire
- Fortress of Nightmares in Newport, Rhode Island
But there's no denying one Connecticut legend — Fairfield Hills.
Operated from 1931 until 1995, housing over 4,000 patients at its peak. The entire facility, once owned and operated by the State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health, still stands. While parts of the property have been redeveloped, there has long been reports of paranormal activity on the grounds.
Here's a video from when Michael Liseo and his crew at HighViewProductions did some exploring at Fairfield Hills:
If you're interested in taking a road trip around the country, the full listing, as well descriptions and explanations of why the 50 places were chosen, are available at thrillist.com.
Read Related Stories About all the Creepy S--t in CT:
- Connecticut Is Creepy - Here Are 15 Weird and Haunted Local Legends
- Could Lovers Leap State Park in New Milford Be Haunted?
- Care for a Ghostly Dinner at One of CT's Haunted Restaurants?
- Would You Dare Spend the Night in These Haunted Hotels in CT?
Exposing This Abandoned Connecticut Neighborhood: