Danbury Man Impaled on Barbecue Rotisserie at Social Club
The Danbury Fire Dept. has reported that a Danbury man fell off a roof and onto a long piece of metal, resulting in a severe injury on Tuesday (September 12).
According to the Danbury Daily Voice, David Mendes fell 8 to 10 feet from the roof of Casa Do Benfica Soccer and Social Club located at 28 Federal Road and landed on a metal stand attached to a large rotisserie grill.
Apparently, Mendes was inspecting an exhaust fan that wasn't working on the roof when he fell. He was impaled on the side of his chest when EMS and Danbury firefighters responded. A special metal saw had to be used to cut the metal from the stand, and then EMTs secured the metal to Mendes in order to provide safe transport to the hospital.
The News Times reported that Mendes was alert and speaking after the accident and doctors believe that the piece of metal didn't injure any major organs.
This is the type of shocking injury that used to freak TV watchers out during shows like ER and Grey's Anatomy.
Mendes was reported to be in critical condition and was being wheeled into surgery to have the foot long metal beam removed from his chest.