Best Places in the Greater Danbury Area to Grab a Beer While Christmas Shopping
Most guys don't want to have anything to do with Christmas shopping unless there's a guarantee that after an hour or two they can belly-up to a bar.
The towns of New Milford, Bethel, and Ridgefield are ideal locations to walk up and down their main street to shop for unique Christmas gifts. After one hour of shopping, I'm done, because I'm a guy. If you're with your wife or girlfriend, they are not done. In fact, they could shop all afternoon. Christmas shopping for the guys translates into, "Let's find a place to sit and have a beer." The following are some of my suggestions:
- Steinbock Tavern at the Alpenhaus - While our women are seeking out more crafty-type stuff than they know what to do with, we can walk over to Steinbock on 30 Railroad Street for a cold one! Their beer selection is impressive -- both tap and bottle, and they do sell beer flights.
- The Iron Rail - The Rail is not only an excellent stop for a cold beer, but it's also an outstanding restaurant. Located at 10 Railroad Street, the bar is attractive and comfortable and they feature beer on tap from Yuengling Lager to Harpoon Winter Warmer. They also feature signature cocktails in case we choose to ask the wives to join us after hours of shopping.
* Shopping Tip - Visit Play Toys and Gifts at 39 Bank Street.
- La Zingara - Located at 8 P.T. Barnum Square within easy walking distance from the Greenwood Ave. shops, La Zingara offers up an impressive bottled and on-tap menu of beers and an eclectic menu of hand crafted cocktails.
- Greenwood's Grille and Ale House - You know this is a perfect spot to stop and grab a cold beer, because they offer growlers-to-go! Located smack dab in the middle of Bethel at 186 Greenwood Ave., the beer menu is extensive for both on-tap and bottled beer.
* Shopping Tip - Stop into The Gift Cottage at 154 Greenwood Ave.
- Bailey's Backyard - Bailey's is not only an upscale restaurant, but if you're ready to try some adventurous beer drinking, make this a definite stop during your Ridgefield shopping excursion. For example, on-tap, they've got Firestone Luponic Distortion (IPA) and Revival Zeppelin (Hefeweizen Ale). You can find Bailey's at 23 Bailey Ave.
- The Hideaway Kitchen and Bar - The Hideaway has a long and fascinating history, which is explained on their website at thehideawayridgefield.com. Their beer menu is gargantuan and impressive. Check it out right here. It's a little bit of a walk from Main Street, but easy to get to at 30 Grove Street.
* Shopping Tip - Check out the Purple Frog at 5 Bailey Ave., which is a perfect shop to buy a gift for any occasion.